Environmental and Sustainability Policy
Bisca are dedicated to design and operations that foster a sustainable future.
In addition to procuring and promoting the use of environmentally friendly products, we strive to go beyond our statutory obligations to be a good neighbour and minimise our impact on the environment.
Bisca have identified seven critical areas through which environmental sustainability shall be approached.
1. Sustainable procurement & design considerations
Design, specify, procure and promote the use of environmentally friendly products and techniques where possible and appropriate; embedding sustainability and life-cycle considerations into all purchasing decisions.
- Bisca expects its key suppliers to follow the Corporate Code of Ethics published by CIPS (Chartered Institute of Procurement and Supply)
- Promote the use of local supply networks
- Promote the use of locally sourced stone
- Promote the use of recycled timber in our staircase designs
- Bisca branded uniform from recycled clothing
2. Waste management
Promote the reuse, segregation and recycling of waste site-wide.
- Recycling of paper, plastics & office consumables
- Site waste recycled
- Recycling of all redundant metal
- Disposal of obsolete IT and electronic equipment to WEEE regulations
- Sausage-cartridges’ used for adhesives where possible; 96% less waste than standard plastic cartridges
- Requesting all suppliers reduce their single use packaging with Bisca deliveries
3. Energy & carbon management
Encourage energy-efficient practices and investment in reducing carbon emissions; seeking to minimise energy consumption in our offices and workshops.
- Installation of a Wood Pellet Boiler to heat premises using greener energy and reducing our carbon footprint and reliance on fossil fuels
- UK sourced wood pellets to fuel boiler www.land-energy.com
- Installation of solar photovoltaic panels to supplement our energy demands
- Use 100% renewable electricity where energy demand is higher than the solar photovoltaic panels system can provide www.eonenergy.com/business.html
- In 2021 279 trees were planted in the local area to help to offset our carbon impact and 250.4metres of mixed native hedging reinstated
- Turning off all display equipment at evenings and weekends
4. Emissions & discharge
Putting in place appropriate controls to prevent pollution and work to reduce where practicable emissions and discharges to air, land and water.
- Maintain company vehicles and combustion driven plant to achieve efficient operation and to minimise harmful emissions
- Disposal of potentially hazardous waste through licensed carriers to licensed processing or disposal centres
- Swithching to water based paints where possible
- Switching from plastic based single use packing products to reusable and more environmentally friendly alternatives e.g. packing blankets and reusable straps in place of pallet-wrap, paper based tape
5. Sustainable travel
Reducing emissions from work-related travel and Bisca owned vehicles.
- Implemented an electric vehicle roll-out
- Provide solar powered electric vehicle chargers to staff
- Minimise business-related travel – all meetings held virtually unless site attendance necessary
- Promote the use of public transport where possible
- Shared travel/commuting wherever practicable and cost-effective
- Whenever practically possible office-based staff to work from home and reduce commute/travel
- Support the community in which we operate through charitable donations & sponsorship
- Established workshop apprentice scheme
- Work with local schools & colleges taking on work experience students
- Working with universities to develop relationships leading to student access to employer panels, placements and internship opportunities
7. Management & control
Provide employees, via induction and through training, with an understanding of this Environmental & Sustainability Policy and their responsibilities in controlling and improving environmental performance.
- Annually review the policy to ensure continued suitability
- Collate supplier information, every two years regarding their Health & Safety, Environment and Sustainability Policy
- Measure and understand our carbon footprint to identify and encourage activities that will help to reduce it