Bespoke Barn Staircase, Otley
A bespoke barn staircase for a barn conversion on the outskirts of Otley.
A real concern of many people restoring a period property is that a new staircase may look out of place. In this instance, our client’s brief was a timeless and simple, using rustic materials for a hand finished feel. Although the new stair is contemporary, its design is in empathy with the building.
We carried out a full structural survey as part of the design work. This found the barn wall not to be of the best construction but strong enough to take a hidden framework. The framework takes the load of the cantilevered treads and is an ideal solution for walls of this nature.
The design itself is of chunky green Oak treads, forged uprights and a leather handrail. The uprights are blacksmith forged, formed and blackened, with a hand stitched handrail.
Green oak is not for the faint-hearted due to its drying and aging properties. These include cracks and fissures which suited this property and matched other timber.
A new staircase in a period property looks stunning if designed and executed with care. Only 60% of a Bisca design is about the stair because the other 40% is about interfaces with the building. Interfaces between old and new are crucial to the successful integration of the new staircase into the property.
To get a guide price based on a similar style or materials, please quote reference 1801.
Project ID: 1801